Harmful algae killing dogs found in Virginia and Maryland lakes

There is a serious and deadly warning out to pet owners this summer if you plan on hitting lakes.

Blue-green algae has taken the lives of several dogs over the past few weeks in North Carolina, Texas and Georgia according to CNN.

Three dogs in North Carolina died within hours of exposure to a toxin from a blue-green algae bloom in a local pond.

The owners reported that after one dog started acting strangely, the other dogs soon started seizing and showing signs of liver failure.

All three died just after midnight Friday.

Blue-green algae is most common in the summer. It is capable of producing harmful toxins to humans, pets and fish.

The Virginia Department of Health says samples collected in late July show harmful levels in several areas in Virginia, including near Lake Anna.

Read the full story HERE from ABC-13 WSET.